Ladies and gentlemen, I have solved my problems with rlm_ldap.

Switching to 2.0.21, the most current stable version of OpenLDAP, fixed
everything.
And I didn't have to patch the calls to library functions that don't exist
in 1.2, which
was cool.

Now, I was running 1.2.11, and the more observant among you will certainly
wonder why I was running such an old version. The answer is that OpenLDAP 2
requires SASL -- or at least so I thought. I run CMU's Cyrus mail server,
which requires
SASL to authenticate, and am migrating my customers over to LDAP. Running SASL
to check an LDAP password which then had to call the SASL library *again*
caused
reentrancy problems.

However, I discovered that it is still possible to run OpenLDAP doing
plaintext authentication
without using the SASL library. So I downloaded a source RPM, rebuilt it
without the
SASL requirements and installed it.

Problem solved. (I still have some issues with using LDAP for
authorization, but I'll
work those out on my own.)

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO      ICQ: 56972932/WebDude216
website: http://JustThe.net  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  phone: 216.619.2NET