> "IH - Net Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would if I knew how to do it myself...and yes I've been through the
> > config files and docs. I wouldn't be asking for a $100 per question
> > either because isn't the purpose of this list to provide help?
>
>   Yes, and no.  The list is to provide help TO people who need it,
> FROM people who are interested in providing that help.
>
>   I'm willing to help people who read the docs and config files.  I'm
> not very interested in helping people who ask questions on the list,
> instead of reading the docs or config files.
>
>   By asking those kind of questions, they've showed that they're not
> interested in reading the answers I've already provided, so I will be
> wasting my time if I answer their questions on the list.
>
>   That's why my response is often "go read the config files".  Any
> other answer encourages people to ask redundant questions on the list,
> when the answer is already sitting in front of them.

<snip>

>   The supplied configuration examples cover a large subset of what
> people want to do.  If you want to do something different, then maybe
> you can submit a new sample configuration, which will be included in a
> future release.
>
>   The BIGGEST problem is that in order to do something different, you
> MUST understand WHAT you want to do, and HOW you want to do it.
> This involves understanding what RADIUS does, and how the server
> works.  The people who are unwilling to put in that work will not be
> able to understand how to configure the server, and probably will not
> understand any answer they're given.
>

>   For people who are unfamiliar with Linux, system administration, or
> with setting up another system service, I'm sorry, this list is for
> FreeRADIUS.  Those other questions are probably off-topic, and don't
> belong on the list.  Therefore, they generally won't be answered here.
>

>   I *am* willing to answer questions from people who run into problems
> with the server, or who run into a lack of documentation about how the
> server works.  That's my responsibility, and what I'm good at.

I'm going to de-lurk for a second for this...

I subscribed to the list several months ago, when I downloaded
FreeRadius and was having some problems with configurations.  I've asked
some questions, but not a whole lot and (hopefully) not redundant ones.

But I was able to do just what Alan says - read through the config
files, comment/uncomment and change these settings, and get it working.
I'm not a big system admin (I run this out of my home, for fun, strange
as that sounds), and I haven't yet read the RFC's, but I understand the
basic way that RADIUS works, and can figure things out so long as there
isn't any programming involved.

It works; it works well; and the list is there for when *that* fails, at
least in my most humble opinion.  Alan's replies are terse, often refer
to the configs or ask for patches (it's an open-source project,a fter
all, right?) and that's fine; he also replies *quickly* and in cases
where something is wrong, with pointers and help in the right direction.

Subscribing to the list if you plan to use it is a *great* idea, as a
lot of things you might come across will be mentioned, and specific
examples for out-of-the-way hardware.

But for someone to send some sample configs - to my thinking, that's
what the default config files *are*.

Now back to my cave...

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html