Just about any OS can us CHAP. It is a standard. Forgive me if any of the
following is wrong, but it should be enough to explain the difference
between CHAP/PAP.

PAP: Plain-test Authentication Protocol

The password is set from the dialup computer to the NAS in Plain-text. It is
the sent to the radius server in plain text, and as such, it can log the
actually password if it is incorrect.

CHAP: Challange Handshack Authentication Protocol

The password in encrypted in the dialup PC, and the encrypted password along
with the encryption key is sent to the NAS (It never knows the real
password). The NAS sends the encrypted password and key to the radius
server. The radius server, which has a local copy of the password stored in
clear text, read's the real password and encypt's it with the key provided
by the dial-up PC. It then compares the two encyrped passwords to see if
they match.

Windows NT/2000/XP are the most common users of CHAP authentication. You
need to set them to "use unsecured password".

Andrew Tait
System Administrator
Country NetLink Pty, Ltd
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.cnl.com.au
30 Bank St Cobram, VIC 3644, Australia
Ph: +61 (03) 58 711 000
Fax: +61 (03) 58 711 874

"It's the smell! If there is such a thing." Agent Smith - The Matrix