Hello,

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Chris Parker wrote:
> At 08:43 AM 4/10/2002 -0700, Woolworth Mark-P23695 wrote:
> >I'm currently running freeradius 0.4 on Solaris 8 and everything is
> >working fine except the Tunnel-Password.  My ISP is proxying the
> >authentication request to my radius server and my radius server is
> >authenticating the request and returning the tunnel attributes to
> >allow the NAS to build an L2TP tunnel.
> >The ISP is claiming the Tunnel-Password is coming back malformed.

We are working just now on a similar setup,
with freeradius 0.5 on FreeBSD.
We also seem to have a problem with the Tunnel-Password.
But it looks like the NAS is complaining about this
Password, not the Proxy-Radius.

I had a quick look into the source ( lib/radius.c ),
and I don't understand how the routine rad_tunnel_pwencode()
is supposed to work (just look at the 'random' salt,
and the calculation  of the length).
OTOH, the chapter in rfc2868 on how to calculate the
tunnel-password is also not very clear to me...

> >At the moment, I don't know which radius
> >server the ISP is running, they're supposed to let me know today.
> >My users file has been pared to the minimum
> >
> >gomer   Auth-Type := Local, Password == "*****"
> >         Service-Type = Framed-user,
> >         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
> >         Tunnel-Type:1 = L2TP,
> >         Tunnel-Medium-Type:1 = IP,
> >         Tunnel-Password:1 = password,
> >         Tunnel-Server-Endpoint:1 = 127.0.0.1
> >
> >The dictionary.tunnel file specifies encrypt=2 on the
> >Tunnel-Password attribute.
> >I've searched the archives and the only information I found on
> >Tunnel-Password was back in October 2001 when it was first
> >implemented.  Does anyone have a scenario like this working?
> >Are there any known problems with password encryption
> >interoperating with other radius servers?
>
> With other radius servers?  I know that it is working at least
> with Funk SteelBelted Radius in terms of interoperability.
> >FreeRADIUS also works with cisco and Ascend NAS that I've
> >tested with ( in setting up L2TP via radius ).
>
> Sounds like your ISP has a problem, or has their
> implementation/configuration incorrect.

Is there an easy way to verify that the password
gets encrypted correctly ?

> -Chris

By(t)e,
 HaJo Gurt
--
Hans-Joachim Gurt               Online Services (Access Server)