Alan DeKok wrote:
> Brett Maxfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>My understanding is that authentication basically happens once, at
>>logon. What i would like is for some external agent (not radius) to
>>create a list of online users (via SNMP or Telnet/Finger) and
>>periodically re-query that list of users against the radius server to
>>see if they would be authenticated, based on the current situation.
>
>   That's problematic, and I'm not sure it's a good idea.
>
>   Do you really want to simplify the work of writing and enforcing
> timeouts in an application, by increasing the load on the RADIUS
> server and the network?

I think that you are right, insofar as having re-authentication as part
of the radius server itself would be a very bad idea. From a design
point of view it should be a completely seperate server, but for the
sake of reusability of freeradius rules it would make sense to package
such a program with freeradius.

If this were a seperate daemon, it would be up to the user to decide if
they needed to run it. The problem i have with leaving kickoffs up to
the user's application, is that it means you have to duplicate the rules
you have already written as part of the radius daemon in a third party
application.

As far as the network load of checking for users, it would have to be
left up to the end user. If all the traffic beween the kickoff server
and the access servers is across an ethernet it might be acceptable.

Cheers
Brett

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html