On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Brendon Colby wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We have a LDAP server with which we want to do authentication. I also
> want to use PAM to authenticate (if LDAP user doesn't exist check PAM).
> Here is what I have in radius.conf:
>
> authorize {
>   files
>   ldap {
>     notfound = return
>   }
> }
>
> authenticate {
>   pam
>   ldap
> }
>
> in the users file:
>
> DEFAULT Auth-Type := Pam
>   Fall-Through = Yes
>
> DEFAULT Auth-Type := ldap
>   Fall-Through = Yes
>

> I try logging in as a user that does not exist in LDAP (PAM auth).
> The authorize section returns not found, of course, and the authenticate
> section doesn't even try pam. The debug shows that it tries LDAP and
> then fails on the login, sending back an Access-Reject.

You always set Auth-Type to ldap in your users file. I would suggest something
like this (i haven't tested it though):

authenticate{
        pam
        ldap
}

authorize {
        ldap
        files
}

users file:

DEFAULT Auth-Type = Pam

That way if ldap finds the user it will set by default the Auth-Type to ldap
(the module handles that). If it returns notfound then the users file will set
Auth-Type to Pam.

doc/configurable_failover is very helpfull on this.

> I want it to try ldap first, then try PAM if the LDAP returns a user not
> found. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Brendon Colby
> Systems Administrator
> Midcontinent Communications

Kostas Kalevras         Network Operations Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      National Technical University of Athens, Greece
Work Phone:             +30 210 7721861