On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Alan DeKok wrote:

> Thomas Jalsovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     does anybody have any experience with saving detail files onto NFS
> > partition sitting on a remote host? Maybe with another distributed
> > filesystem under Linux?
>
>   It's a bad idea.  NFS may go away without really "going away".  That
> is, it will look to programs that the directories/files exist, but any
> reads/writes will take literally forever.
If I'm right (I heard this nut not checked yet), NFS has hard and soft
modes. When the soft mode is turned on, every file function fail will
reported back to the application and won't try to make the job (in loop).

> >     My goal will to make fail-over solution, so when RADIUS
> > (rlm_detail) can't store files onto local filesystem let store to a remote
> > one.
>
>   You're better off storing them to local disk, and using radrelay to
> copy the data to another system.
Yes, it's true. This solution should be for case when I can't store to
local disk (disk full/ local filesystem fail). My idea:
1. try to store to local filesystem
2. if it os OK, go next, if it FAILs, try to save to a remote FS e.g. NFS
3. if everything FAILs (little probability) accounting returns with FAIL

> > p.s.: does rlm_detail locking work together with NFS? (I'm not an NFS
> > guru, please explain your answer, thanks)
>
>   I would expect so, if NFS supports locks, without bugs.  Not all NFS
> implementations do...
Unfortunately I don't have many experiences with NFS (I used it only for
centar file distribution - storage). I'm asking because there should be
more experienced users with distributed filesystems/locking/RADIUS :)

        Thanks
                Thomas

p.s.: what is your idea, how should I solve filesystem problems - FS
fail-over? (I have also SQL databases, but I need for archivation those
CDRs)

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html