Okay,

I had emailed earlier about thread problems and Solaris. Here's a summary on what I've been doing (and a new problem I found).

Someone mentioned trying to compile FreeRADIUS on a Linux box and try my configuration. I did just that with an old Dell and Red Hat 8.0. I compiled FreeRADIUS 0.8.1 with these arguments:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/radius --with-ldap

My configuration got its authentication from LDAP and its authorization from the users file, and it worked beautifully. These are EXACTLY the same configuration files I used with my very troubled Solaris install. (I just copied them over to the Linux machine with scp.) FreeRADIUS works just like it should with Linux. However:

The Solaris 8 (on a Netra T1) install:

I compiled FreeRADIUS 0.8.1 with these arguments:

./confgure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/radius --with-ldap

(Just as a note, I used gcc for both Linux and Solaris. I even tried to compile with Sun's compiler under Solaris, but after getting some errors with the rlm_ldap module, I used gcc.)

This server would only work with LDAP if I ran it with the "-s" flag. Otherwise the server would fail to connect with LDAP (sending out a syn packet, immediently followed by a reset packet... before our LDAP server ever answered). The radiusd.log contains:

Mon Dec 16 18:55:52 2002 : Error: rlm_ldap: cn=xxxxxx,ou=xxxxxx,dc=xxx,dc=xxx bind to ldap.nau.edu:389 failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Mon Dec 16 18:55:52 2002 : Error: rlm_ldap: (re)connection attempt failed

Debugging output does not give much more than this. Everything works fine if I give radiusd the "-s" flag.

So I tried to compile with these arguments instead (and found a new problem):

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/radius --with-ldap --with-threads=no

The server worked without needing the "-s" flag, but the server would not respond to accounting requests. When I tried to run in debug mode, accounting requests caused a segmentation fault.

I do NOT have this problem when I compile "with threads", and I do not need the "-s" flag to do accounting. I only need the "-s" flag for LDAP... I tried authentication with a local account and this worked fine.

If anyone wants more information or you want me to try something please feel free to email me. I am going to "solve" my problem by using a Linux machine for FreeRADIUS. However, there may be some people who want to use LDAP and Solaris someday so I decided to send this email about my Solaris woes even though I am not planning to bother with it.

Thanks for the help,

--
Samuel T Patterson
Systems Programmer