24-Dec-02 at 10:38, Alan DeKok ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :

>   Great.  You've re-designed the server to do exactly what it's doing
> now, but with the names changed.
>
>   How exaclty does that help?

Hi Alan,

I'm going to jump in here, and I want first to say that your help in the
forum and with the project is great stuff, and we all owe you a debt.
There is a lot of newbie-ism in the mailing list, and a lot of things
which you nevertheless take the time to reply to, even with your
sometimes acerbic wit ;-)

Now, I know that things are not as bad or unclear as they seem from this
thread / mailing list in general. Indeed, I managed to get everything up
and running with MySQL by reading the right documentation. However,
there is an argument to make (I think) things a little clearer.

1) If the documentation can be improved, then let's improve it. Some
windows users expect just a step-by-step manual to get going.

- The only people who can be bothered to write this kind of dull
  technical stuff are those who are paid to do it...
- O'Reilly mention FreeRadius in their Radius book, but it's an old
  version

Conclusion - see below

2) If there is a case (as often there is) for a RTFM, then perhaps we
can start pointing people to the relevant filename(s).

3) If the terminology is what most screws people up, then let's either

- Change it, as suggested by this thread, but on democratic terms from
  experienced users
- Add a lexicon or quick reference

Now, the interesting thing for me is to get wider use of OpenSource to
stop people using commercial crap which eats up bandwidth unnecessarily.
I managed to read the documentation OK and had no issues with it. It is
clear, but maybe approaching from a different angle might help.

I certainly DO NOT expect you to do this, Alan. I am calling for the
community at large to perhaps take some time to dig up their notes and
write up a couple of installs, so that these references can be made
available.

I certainly try to put my money where my mouth is. Over the holiday
period I might not get the time, but some time soon, I will be putting
up a site with support for what I consider to be good Linux / FreeOS
stuff, and FreeRADIUS is in that group.

Best regards and a Merry Christmas, Mr DeKok.

--
|-Simon White, Internet Services Manager, Certified Check Point CCSA.
|-MTDS  Internet, Security, Anti-Virus, Linux and Hosting Solutions.