> > >Did Outlook Express 6 mung this attachment into binary or something?
> > >It's not MIME compliant as far as my MUA is concerned, anyway...
> >
> > That's uuencode, a standard from the eighties that nobody really
> > uses anymore ..
>
> Why is OE6 using it? Jeez, I haven't seen uuencode for so long that I
> didn't recognise it as such...

It's not.  I pasted it in by hand from an Xterm.  Almost all unix machines
i've used still come with uuencode/uudecode, making them a convenient way to
transport files in email such that they are not mangled by the MUA.
Attached is the same file in Mime.  If the OE6 version of the attachement
causes grief, I can reattach using mutt or even generate my own MIME by hand
if need be.  In many unix clients, to extract a uuencoded file, type
"|uudecode" into your client such as elm mutt or pine.  If that's not
supported, save to file and uudecode the file.  If that's not supported,
uudecode your inbox (uudecode < /var/mail/myuserid)

> > except Outlook has still support for it.
>
> So do many other MUAs but they only use it to *read* incoming mail !

Same w/ OE6.  Doesn't support it for outgoing either, unless you paste it
into the body of the email.

> > Microsoft simply tells you to scrap the word "begin" from the
> > English language. Really, see:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q265230
>
> OMG!
>
> WORKAROUND
> To workaround this problem:
>
>     * Do not start messages with the word "begin" followed by two
>     * spaces.
>     * Use only one space between the word "begin" and the following
>     * data.
>     * Capitalize the word "begin" so that it is reads "Begin."
>     * Use a different word such as "start" or "commence."

ROTFL!  That is so funny!  I knew my lack of confidence in OE6's ability to
render emails was well founded, but that's the tops!  Nevertheless, it is
still the least quirky IMAP MUA UI (I am only commenting on the basic mail
reading UI).  The rest of it stinks, but till evolution or something else is
as fast, as clean, as reliable (Evolution coredumps regularly), then I am
stuck with OE6 + mutt.

> Merry Christmas ! Commence your festivities ;-)

Done!  Your exerpt made my day.  I am going to go annoy cow-orkers with
broken emails containing begin.

Roy