On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Steve Fulton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm evaluating FreeRADIUS, and will be using a backend DB of some sort for
> AAA as necessary.  I'm looking for opinions and observations between using
> an SQL backend, like MySQL or PostgreSQL, or possibly LDAP.  What is your
> experience?

We are using iplanet (now sun one) DS51 for authentication and Mysql+InnoDB for
accounting in the Greek School Network. It is working very nice. I would say
that both ldap and mysql (especially if you use InnoDB) can be used without a
problem. The main advantage of LDAP is that it has a strictly defined schema
(there are RFCs defining LDAP schema) and can be used to support multiple
services (we are also using it for web auth,email and ftp and will also use it
for dns). It also has various features not easily found in sql databases (multi
master replication,acis,inherited attributes etc) and has excellent performance
(not that mysql+innodb doesn't).

Overall, especially if you are a small isp use whatever you want. LDAP will
probably just give you more room to expand.

--
Kostas Kalevras         Network Operations Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      National Technical University of Athens, Greece