About 2 minutes before your email came in I just stumbled across
something similar.  Here's exactly what I had to do:

1. build binutils:
        options --target=sparcv9-sun-solaris2

2. build gcc:
        options -host=sparcv9-sun-solaris2 --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ar
--with-as=/path-to/as --with-ar=/path-to/ar

3. OHOME=/path-to/oraclehome
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/path-to-gcc/lib
   export OHOME LD_LIBRARY_PATH

4. build freeradius:
        - options are only specific to my install.  nothing fancy occurred

5. deploy!

Thanks a tonne for all your help.  I hope this list is useful to the
next person.  Note, to those interested in compiling the gcc for solaris
(repeatably), I will be posting a document on my website
(www.gnupower.net) in the upcoming week/month depending on time.

cheers,

--ck

-