Yup.. I actually just got off the phone with them.  They are using a Cisco Content switch.  They are sending from port 1645 which they proved with a tcpdump log, then the cisco content switch gets ahold of it and randomizes the outgoing port prior to sending it to my proxy server.

We migrated over to an IP which was not behind their content switch and everything is working great now. =)

Appreciate everyone's responses.

At 02:15 PM 2/25/2003 -0600, you wrote:
Sorry for the previous post!

If they aren't using a load balancer, then their software is opening the port with a port number of '0' rather than a
specified port. This is correct for many client protocols (mostly using TCP rather than UDP), but definitely not for
RADIUS.

Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Nathan Miller
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 2:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Proxy Server sending from random ports

Alan, I truly appreciate the speedy reply.  I confirmed the requests are definitely always coming from the same IP address, it's just the port # which is changing.  I had disabled some error checking code (section which confirms the port #) in freeradius to get the 2nd error I listed.  I will notify them that their radius server is definitely violating the RFC.  Thanks.

At 09:54 AM 2/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Nathan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am having a problem with a new client.  Their radius server is sending
> back the requests I proxy to them using random ports.  It always arrives on
> my port 1647, but is sent using a random port on their side.

  That's a violation of the RFC.

> Initially I was getting these errors (stripped from -xxx debug log)
> Tue Feb 25 11:04:15 2003 : Error: Ignoring request from unknown proxy
> <ipaddie>:12386

  That's a different error.  The reply from the home server came from
one which wasn't listed in in proxy.conf.

  So not only are they sending from random ports, they're sending from
random IP's, too.

> The rest of my proxy customers always send the request back using the same
> port which the request was proxied to them on, which is usually 1645 or
> 1812.  As you can see, this particular request arrived from port 12386
> which seems to be random port #'s above 10000.  My first assumption is this
> has something to do w/ laod balancing software on their side.

  Probably.

> My first and most important question is, is there a work-around perhaps so
> I can get this customer live w/o them fixing their radius?

  No.  The proxy requests are keyed by port & IP.  So if the home
server responds from a *different* port & IP, there's no way of
figuring out which request matches that reply.

> Should freeradius be accepting these connections, or is it in fact their
> radius which is violating the spec?

  Their system should be fixed.  It's a complete and total violation
of the RADIUS spec.  It's impossible to fix, and even if you could, it
would create severe security problems.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

------
Nathan Miller - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
VISP Technologies
Building The Nation's Largest Network of Successful ISPs.