If you are using a Redhat system or similar the scripts you put in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ do NOT run automatically UNLESS there exists symbolic links
in the various /etc/rc.d/rcX.d/ directories with SXXradiusd and KXXradiusd to
the init.d script where XX is a priority and X is a runlevel. If you do not
understand this search google, redhat.com or something and checkout man
chkconfig.

However this is a bad way to run radius, what if it goes down? It wont
automatically restart and your users wont be able to authenticate.

You need something that monitors the process and restarts it if it dies.

daemontools is perfectly fine as suggested, so is inittab which comes with
linux.  I use inittab simply to maintain consistency with the other things
already run from inittab and I do not see the reason to install daemontools
but I have read oppinions which state otherwise. Check them both out and
decide for yourself.

You can adjust what is logged in radius.conf and yes radtest should log.  All
I can say here is read the documentation in radius.conf ..

Also try running radiusd with -X if you want to debug and see what is really
happening

Cheers
--
Martin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])