> why treat them nicely? I thought you'd want to do something really
> nasty to them 8-)

Alan,

I figured that giving them at least a small chance to loose a single scream
before their eventual demise was a fitting demonstration of just how kind I
am :-)

> t'is a pity that these spammers can hop on board so easily.

I agree.  It's certainly a shame they can exploit this mailing list, but I
don't think much can be done to prevent this sort of infestation (although a
thermonuclear explosion in the perpetrators' underpants comes to mind).
Increase the security of the list and subscription might become more
difficult for legitimate subscribers; do nothing and the problem continues.

Back when I was lurking through the freeradius-users archives, I noticed
some grumbling regarding the volume of spam being submitted to this mailing
list (correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed *that* much and the few
messages that make it through are often ridiculed humorously).  Some
subscribers indicated that they receive virtually no junk to other lists to
which they have subscribed.  Maybe I'm naive, but this particular complaint
seems to indicate to me that these other lists (the ones to which receive
"no junk") are either lesser known or require stricter checks on
subscription requests.  If the latter is correct, I would think that these
checks might present more of a barrier toward those who are legitimately
seeking help, thus contributing to further the frustration these individuals
have certainly already experienced!

Perhaps my assumptions are wrong (so far as limiting the junk), but given
the volume (or lack thereof) of junk that makes it through the submission
system, I think that one spam per 3 to 5 days isn't really all that bad.
According to Jupiter Research, most Internet users are likely to see the
amount of junk they receive double every 42 days.  While I'm sure many of
those same users are partially responsible for their e-mail addresses making
it into the "cold, cruel world," it doesn't make the junk any less
troublesome.  But!  At least many of the freeradius-users subscribers
exhibit an excellent sense of humor (I nearly died laughing when I got your
response, btw), and poking fun at some lamer trying to sell "manhood
medication" can certainly brighten one's day!  There's something
self-fulfilling about belittling lower forms of life such as spammers...

Well, thar's me $0.02 worth.  Sorry this is off-topic.

~Benjamin

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html