In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Anthony Guida  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mark -
>
>Thanks for your response. Actually I know it
>isn't a shared secret issue, because the same box has
>no problems authenticating to the Radius server. Just
>once in a while I see these entries added to the
>Radius
>log.
>I think it may be someone trying a brute force
>login or war-dialing attempt... When these entries
>are added they come up 3 times within a few seconds
>and then they stop.

It's modem noise, I'm 99% sure.

Just a half-failed connection that sends a lot of garbage to
your NAS. Somewhere in there are newlines as well, so the
garbage is sent as loginname/password to the radius server.
Up to three times, then the NAS disconnects the session.

Seen it often. It was worse when 56K was new, there was
some really bad modem code around at that time.

Mike.
--
.. somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
        -- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"