hi

> primary i want to demonstrate the functionallity of radius, but the
> possibilities to demostrate it are restricted (i have just my notebook for this)...

no problem, all instances can run on the same machine.

> why windows? i thought that it is one benefit of radius that you have
> centralized authentication there?! so i thought it would be an idea to demonstrate
> how the radius server authenticates a user from the w2k ads and another user
> from the unix passwd file?

well, you have centralized authentication but that has nothing to do
with the fact that some radius implementation can use active directory
and others password files. that is principally independent of the
protocol definition.

> perhaps you can tell me about a good tutorial or another ressources where
> the features of radius are explained or demonstrated!?

you should definitely begin by reading the base radius rfc. then you'll
see what's radius in the first place and also what it is not. ietf does
not define where you get your information from or how you store it; in
the most cases ietf only defines how two hosts can exchange some data,
i.e. the protocol somehow related to ip. radius IS before all such a
protocol. there is a concept behind it. the intentions are described in
the rfc. so read it. then, there is a book too.

in order to understand the concept, look for explanations on AAA e.g. on
the web www.google.com

ciao
artur