On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 11:21:09AM -0700, Naman Latif wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to use the System Authentication feature with FreeRADIUS while
> the user defined on the UNIX machine doesn't have any Shell (because I
> don't want that user to login to the Unix machine). Only objective is to
> have him authenticated for some other service.
>
> However when the user have no\false shell, authentication doesn't work
> and comes up with the message

You can modify the allowed list of shells, but one solution to consider
is specifying an alternate password file:

                passwd = ${confdir}/radius.passwd
                shadow = ${confdir}/radius.passwd
                usegroup = no
                # group = ${confdir}/radius.group

This way the users in no way are known about by the larger system.

Regards,

Matt Sayler

--
/* Matt Sayler    -- Sr. Network Engineer, Speedsite Online
 * (773) 324-2954 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] */