thanks alex

I have tried what you suggested but without much success. When I actually add the sql entry in the
authenticate section and start radiusd in debug mode --> I get an error stating

root:/usr/local/etc/raddb# radiusd -x
Starting - reading configuration files ...
Module: Loaded System
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded preprocess
Module: Instantiated preprocess (preprocess)
Module: Loaded realm
Module: Instantiated realm (suffix)
ERROR: Cannot find a configuration entry for module "sql".

hence my question : do I need to add further instruction in the module section on radiusd.conf
to make this work.

Thank you for your response

cheers
raven