I have a customer that wants to update the shared secret on his Cisco gateways
that are sending my FreeRADIUS servers accounting information. I would like
to update clients.conf to accept both shared secrets, tell my customer to
make their changes, and then update clients.conf again with just the new
secret.

If I put two entries in clients.conf with the same subnet but different
secrets and the same shortname, only the second entry works.

If I put two entries in clients.conf with the same subnet but different
secrets and different shortnames, only the second entry works.

If I put one entry in clients.conf with two "secret =" lines with two
different secrets, only the first secret works.

Just for grins, I tried using a regular expression (secret =~ secret1|secret2)
on the secret line (although this shouldn't work because shared secrets are
one-way hashed before being sent), and sure enough, neither secret worked.

What is the recommended procedure for updating a shared secret with zero
downtime?

--
Earl C. Ruby III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer / Developer