Hello All,
Recently we upgraded from freeradius 0.4 + RH 7.1 to freeradius 0.9 + RH 9.0.
And it is proving to be nightmare in some sense.

To summarize the problem, Monthly-Session-Time does not work in this version.
This is one very important feature we need at our site since we have many
groups  of users who are allocated a monthly quota of usage.

The relevant portions from radiusd.conf:

counter monthly {
                filename = ${raddbdir}/db.monthly
                key = User-Name
                count-attribute = Acct-Session-Time
                reset = monthly
                counter-name = Monthly-Session-Time
                check-name = Max-Monthly-Session
                allowed-servicetype = Framed-User
                cache-size = 5000
        }

instantiate {
        expr
        monthly
}
authorize {
        preprocess
        chap
        eap
        suffix
        files
        monthly
}
accounting {
        acct_unique
        detail
        monthly
        radutmp
        sradutmp
}

The relevant portions from users:
DEFAULT Group == "teacher", Monthly-Session-Time > 252000, Auth-Type := Reject
        Reply-Message = "You've used up your allocated maximum time for browsing.",
        Fall-Through = No

Similar lines for other groups.

Now for a user in the group teacher, the rejection message is being generated
whatever may be the total usage for that user in a month, even if it zero.
That the offending line is the above first quoted line from users file is
proved by running radius in debug mode (radiusd -X). Moreover, we have tried
removing the Monthly-Session-Time > 252000 portion, and then the user can
login successfully.

The only hint we get from the debug message is,

rlm_counter: Entering module authorize code
rlm_counter: Could not find Check item value pair
  modcall[authorize]: module "monthly" returns noop

But we do not understand what value pair is being talked about here.

The issue is not related to terminal server since radtest itself is failing.

Could any kind soul please let us know how can we solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali
Associate Professor and Associate Director
Institute of Information and Communication Technology
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh

Phone: 880 2 966 5650 (PABX)
FAX: 880 2 861 3026, 880 2 861 3046

-