Thankyou. I think it's a good thing to have, and will apply them once
the following is cleared up.

> The following files already had a GPL header but it was incomplete or
> contained a typo:
>  src/modules/rlm_acct_unique/rlm_acct_unique.c
>  src/modules/rlm_always/rlm_always.c
>  src/modules/rlm_attr_filter/rlm_attr_filter.c
>  src/modules/rlm_dbm/rlm_dbm.c
>  src/modules/rlm_dbm/rlm_dbm_cat.c
>  src/modules/rlm_dbm/rlm_dbm_parser.c
>  src/modules/rlm_detail/rlm_detail.c
>  src/modules/rlm_unix/cache.c
>  src/modules/rlm_unix/compat.c

Can you make these a seperate patch? That should apply fairly safely
and quickly.

> The following file had no licence, so I inserted a GPL header:
>  src/lib/crypt.c
>  src/lib/dict.c
>  src/lib/hmac.c
>  src/lib/log.c
>  src/lib/misc.c
>  src/lib/missing.c
>  src/lib/print.c
>  src/lib/radius.c
>  src/lib/snprintf.c
>  src/lib/token.c
>  src/lib/valuepair.c

I dunno how to tell you this after so much work, but src/lib
(libradius) is under the LGPL, not the GPL. (I think this is
specified in the COPYRIGHT file, if not, in the debian/copyright
file).

> The following files already have a licence, but it's not GPL. In
> doubt, I didn't touch them. It should be wise to ask someone who
> knows well about free software licence stuff if it's all right
> to have these in Freeradius:

I am not a lawyer, but I play one on TV...

>  src/lib/filters.c
(c) 1994 Ascend, may be used as long as banner remains; Alan DeKok, GPL.
Should be LGPL, part of libradius

>  src/lib/isaac.c
Public Domain

>  src/lib/md4.c
(c) 1990,1991,1992 RSA Data Security, may be used as long as banner remains
and we call it "RSA Data Security, Inc. MD4 Message-Digest Algorithm"

>  src/lib/md5.c
(c) 1991,1992 RSA Data Security, may be used as long as banner remains
and we call it "RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm"

"EAP/RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm" anyone?

>  src/lib/sha1.csrc
Public Domain

So in short, we probably should look at the MD4/MD5 license and be sure
we're obeying it. And Alan's parts of filters.c should be LGPL. Then the
whole thing is fairly safely LGPL.

Although maybe md4/md5 can be replaced with less licensed versions? I noticed
a comment in md5.c about broken system md5 implementations... Maybe mcrypt
solves this?

And the only src/lib file not listed here somewhere is smbdes.c
Oh yuck, that's GPLv2... Have to go look up whether LGPL can contain
GPL'd code. (I don't think it can.... GPL can depend on LGPL'd code,
as we're doing in FreeRADIUS. Not vice versa.) Maybe this could also
be tossed in for a non-GPL-encumbered DES? (mcrypt again. :-)

No idea how wide-spread mcrypt is though. :-(
Paul "TBBle" Hampson
Bubblesworth Pty Ltd (ABN: 51 095 284 361)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a one line proof...if we start
sufficiently far to the left.
        -- Cambridge University Math Department