I've been reading some of the recent messages on wireless
authentication, and people have mentioned using VPN and PPPoE and RADIUS
to authenticate users.

We've developed our own router (linux based) that uses Freeradius,
RP-PPPoE and Poptop to implement authenticated wireless roaming on our
campus network. A couple of other universities are also using this
router for their wireless and wired "docking" networks.

It's really been designed for large wireless deployments, and so it's
probably a bit OTT if you only have one or two APs. However, if you have
a large number of APs, a large number of users, and non-trivial
networking requirements then you might like to look at it. Hopefully it
might help someone avoid re-inventing a wheel...

http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/services/computers/nwservices/nomadic/download

josh.