I am preparing to embark on a project to build a 802.11b access point from a soekris net4521. I'm new to wi-fi technology but am starting to research proposed 802.11i standards and items such as TKIP, 802.1x, WPA and EAP.

What capabilities does FreeRadius support that are recommended for the security of my new WLAN? And what are some commonly used configurations that any of you would recommend that I implement to ensure authentication and encryption on my wireless network?

Here is a rough diagram of my physical setup:

          (fxp0)  (fxp1)
INTERNET --- Soekris --<  { wired net }
                |(wi0)
                ^
         { wireless net }

I intend to have 2 private subnets (wired and wireless) and route between them and from them to the internet on the soekris. Clients that will be in use on the wlan are: Win 2k/XP desktops and Win2k/linux laptops.

TIA,

DS