On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Matt Sapp wrote:

> Personally, I don't see how the users file being in proper shape is any
> less critical than any other configuration file being correct.  You'd be
> much better off implementing some solution to make sure the users file
> is correct (perhaps some type checking in whatever system you use to
> manage your users -- surely you don't have a bunch of type-prone data
> entry people editing the users file by hand, do you?).

For what it's worth, it may be better to make this a matter of procedure.
For my part, whenever I make any change to Radius configuration files, I
follow the following steps:

 1) Edit the file and make changes.

 2) Run "radiusd -X". This will show any fatal errors in the config
without you having to stop your "good" radius. It will quit with a message
about radius already running, but up until then, will show you whether or
not radius *will* start with the new config.

 3) Restart radiusd with the new config if radiusd -X worked out okay.

It's probably possible to write a script (and eventually I probably will
but am too lazy now) to run this sort of check and only restart radiusd if
things are okay, but I think just making sure that people check is a
quicker fix than code hacking.

Not a better fix, but a quicker fix. :-)

I do agree that I don't really want Radius running with a semi-woogly
config, although it can be a pain the times where I forget to check it
with -X, since those are always the times I've made a mistake.

Heh.

Kristina

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html