I used the following

./configure --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-shared
make
make install

I'm not entirely sure but I believe the disable-shared is required to get it to run on OS X. You may not need to set up the local state and configuration directories but I seem to recall a hierarchy of folders (/etc, /var and others) all appearing under /usr/local without the extra definitions. Then you may need to go into the radiusd.conf file within /etc/raddb and comment out the sections that activate and configure EAP.

You should be able to issue the command

/usr/local/sbin/radiusd -X

This has worked for me though I've had issues with semaphores when trying to run the daemon without any parameters.

David Watson