Ok, here's some more info about my configuration on
the user-side:

I have installed the client and CA certificates
(cert-clt.p12, root.der) which I created using the
script described in Ken Roser's How-To
(doc/EAP/TLS.pdf). They seem to be working fine (the
TLS handshake doesn't complain about any of them).
In the authentication tab i selected "Use Smart Card
or Certificate".
When i try to connect i get a popup prompting me to
choose the (client)certificate i want to use.
Note that since i don't have winXP, i use my card's
software to detect and connect to my AP. I have tried
two different cards so far with the same result(PCMCIA
AmbiCom and ZoomAir with PCI adapter).

I have also tried using PEAP and TTLS(SecureW2) but
(as was expected) to no avail.

As far as the client(Cisco) is concerned, there aren't
much more to be said. I didn't use the aaa commands in
the documentation, since it didn't seem necessary in
the How-To's (should I?).
I just added a radius server (providing ip address ,
shared secret and selecting "EAP authentication") and
changed the authentication option for my SSID from
"Open Authentication <no addition>" to "Open
authentication with EAP".

Tomorrow i am going to try and use HostAp as a client
for freeradius and i'll tell you if there this any
progress.

Thanks again for taking an interest.