"Andrew Staples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are using SQL modules for accounting with freeradius. Often, we don't
> get the stop accounting packet from the NAS. This means the user cannot log
in again until we manually clear the accounting entry in the radacct
table.

If your not getting stop records you have seriuos problems that need to be fixed.

As Alan said, configure and use checkrad to verify if users are still active.

I have a number of different NAS boxes from different vendors, and it can be a
pain to get them all to work with checkrad, but it does work well once it is
properly setup.

Some of the other things you may want to do is :

1) If your NAS can send "Accounting-Off" records when the NAS is rebooted,
make sure it does. This will close all open sessions on that NAS.
2) If your NAS supports interval accounting updates, enable them if you can. That
will allow you to retain some billing information if you loose the stop records.
3) Monitor your NAS Servers to find out if they are rebooting, and if they do, run
an update query to close the sessions that were open when the NAS rebooted.

I used to have some NAS boxes that were loosing stop records, so I have put a
considerable amount of thought into what to do when stop records are lost. I
fixed all the problems that were causing the packet loss, so I never did write
the monitor routines, but I still may.

Good Luck

--
Guy Fraser