Tariq Rashid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wonder if there are existing benchmarks of freeradius performance compared
> with other radius servers.

  Only messages posted to the list.  Search the archives for details.

> Also, I'm having trouble finding information about what is unique to
> freeradius in terms of performance. The website suggests that freeradiius is
> high performance... but doesn't elaborate. Where does this
> unqiue-to-freeradius performance come from?

  It's not claimed that high permormance is unique to FreeRADIUS.
It's claimed that FreeRADIUS *is* a high-performance server, and that
it's often faster than other servers.  There may be another server as
high-performance as FreeRADIUS.

>  is it from its use of threads?

  That's one.

>  it it from its use C as opposed to perl (radiator)?

  That makes a big difference.

>  does it compile using OS specific accelerations (kqueue, for example)

  No.

  The general reasons why it's high performance are that it's designed
properly.  Since it's a Free Software project, it's designed and
written to be independent of any corporate/management/marketing fads.
Features go in because they make engineering sense, not because they
add another check-box on a marketing slide.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html