We seem to have an issue with radius encryption on openbsd with USR
netserver hardware.

NAS unit is a USR Netserver, symptom is as if the shared secret was
incorrect on either freeradius or NAS.

I do get this warning:
WARNING: Unprintable characters in the password. ?  Double-check the
  shared secret on the server and the NAS!

The 'radtest' program does work so the problem is NAS-specific.

The interesting bit, is I've tried authenticating against 2 remote
Freeradius servers, one running on Solaris, the other OpenBSD/i386.
I did this by changing the radius authentication IP, but not the secret.

The Solaris server authenticates just fine, but the obsd exhibits the
same problem (but works fine with a Cisco AS5200).

Debugging has shown that the freeradius is definitely not decoding the
password correctly from the NAS unit.

However I'm convinced that the shared secrets are identical, and only 7 characters.

I went as far as to install Cistron RADIUS and found the same behaviour
but I did not try Cistron on Solaris.

Tried Freeradius 0.7.1, 0.8.1, 0.9.1 with same results.

It seems there is a NAS and platform specific problem with radius auth
decoding, unless I'm going nuts.

--
Andre Dalle                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Shogun of Sorrow