Hi,

If you want to try 802.1x with EAP MD5 (it's the easiest to configure),
you have to put on your user (laptop) config three parameters:
Identification : ID = login
Authentication : Username = login , User_Pass = password.

Here's Xsupplicant(user) minimal config for EAP MD5 :
mynetwork {

     allow_types = eap_md5

     identity = <BEGIN_ID>radiustestor<END_ID>

     eap-md5 {
        username = <BEGIN_UNAME>radiustestor<END_UNAME>
        password = <BEGIN_PASS>testradius<END_PASS>

Now, you need to configure your Freeradius "users" file :

radiustestor    Auth-Type := EAP, User-Password == "testradius"
                Service-Type = Framed-User.

I know it's the minimal conf, but it works, try this before using PEAP.

Fred.