Woohoo!!! I think I finally got it to work!

I put the following in the eap.conf file:

                 peap {
                        #  The tunneled EAP session needs a default
                        #  EAP type which is separate from the one for
                        #  the non-tunneled EAP module.  Inside of the
                        #  PEAP tunnel, we recommend using MS-CHAPv2,
                        #  as that is the default type supported by
                        #  Windows clients.
                        default_eap_type = mschapv2
                        proxy_tunneled_request_as_eap = no
                        copy_request_to_tunnel = yes
                }

And put this in the top of the users file:

DEFAULT FreeRADIUS-Proxied-To == 127.0.0.1, Proxy-To-Realm := "adt.com"

I'm gonna do some more testing, but it looks like this works. I can proxy the inner MSCHAP authentication either to my other freeradius test server, or to my Microsoft IAS server (which was the real point).

Now I'm gonna try and add LEAP and TTLS.

Thanks for all your help man! You rock!