My suspicion is this:

Currently they way things are configured the user logs in using Radius and is either a valid user or denied. When the user switches to a directory which is being managed using Apache's Basic Authentication model and an .htaccess file, they are not being re-prompted for a password, but rather the name is being compared against a list of people in a groups file using a method like this:

(in .htaccess file)

AuthGroupFile /usr/local/web/etc/groups
require group foo

I'm guessing that the AuthGroupFile is expecting to go look at a password file which does not exist, and that's generating the 500 error.

Perhaps the question I OUGHT to be asking is how people would handle a situation where:

1) Users should be validated using Radius so that passwords can be encrypted during transmission.

2) Users have to be permitted/denied resources on a directory-by-directory basis without doing this management in a file that has to be modified by "root" (i.e. in a manner which can be automated to accommodate a highly dynamic user/resource scenario).