No need to have FR assign the IP, since you are using a MAX, just have FR
assign those "nopay" users a different IP pool to pick from, and set that IP
pool to be the new subnet in the MAX. I use a pool at the bottom (Pool ID
254 for an APX8000).
This is how my records looks in my FR database.

GroupName       Attribute                       op      Value   prio
nopay   X-Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool :=      254     0

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html