On May 20, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Chris Bshaw wrote:

Hi....

Thanx to everyone who has replied so far....very helpful. A few more questions.

Bob.....I tried your settings below. My client does connect and I can see the EAP-TLS exchange via the radiusd debugging info. I also see MS-MPPE-Recv-Key and MS-MPPE-Send-Key in the debug output, and in ethereal on the client I see the EAPOL packets. However.....

1. Again, both ends say security = none (or Encryption = off)

On the AP, what command are you running that says there is no encryption?

2. A show logging on the AP has a line like this when a client machine associates with it:

*Mar 3 01:26:04.607: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station 0009.5b65.d55c Associated KEY_MGMT[NONE]

.....is KEY_MGMT[NONE] relevant here?

Do you have TKIP or CKIP enabled in your config? The config I sent you does not. It's possible the log message is talking about TKIP key management? I'm not certain.

3. I thought guest-mode meant that anyone could connect without EAP (or WEP)....am I wrong on this?

You are completely wrong. :-)

A Cisco AP can support multiple SSID's, but only one SSID can be broadcast in the beacon. The SSID that is in "Guest mode" is the one being beaconed. You can also have no guest mode SSID's at all, and then no SSID will be included in your AP's beacons. (but it *will* still beacon).

4. I set the dynamic rekeying interval to 120 seconds (instead of 600 seconds as you have below).....however, after the first successful connection, I never see any transaction on the radiusd server.....you mention I should configure the AP to honor the Session-Timeout from the radius server.....should I also set Session-Timeout = 120 on the freeradius server and if so where? (eg: in the raddb/attrs file?)...

When you're using 802.1x authentication, there are actually 2 wep keys involved. One is the per-user key assigned by the radius server. It's used to encrypt unicast traffic. Then there is a broadcast key used to encrypt broadcast and multicast traffic. That key is shared by all clients that are associated to the AP. The statement "broadcast-key change 600", causes a Cisco AP to change the broadcast WEP key every 600 seconds and distribute the new key to all associated clients. The Session-Timeout causes the AP to disassociate the client from the AP. When client will attempt to automatically re-associate. When it does, the radius server will give the client a new unicast WEP key. So yes, in addition to telling the AP to honor the Session-Timeout, you will need to tell Freeradius to send a Session-Timeout. It looks like this: (in your Freeradius users file)

# BDM - for all users, send a session-timeout value of 15 minutes (900 seconds)
# to the AP. For Cisco AP's you MUST make sure the AP is configured
# to honor the Session-Timeout value (it doesn't by default)
DEFAULT
Session-Timeout := 900,
Fall-Through = Yes

Put that at the VERY top of your users file.

5. Does my client wlan card and/or card driver need to support WEP dynamic rekeying? Or is it the w2k supplicant which handles this? (in case you missed it below I am using a NetGear WG511 card).

As long as your card supports 802.1x I believe you're fine. The supplicant will handle everything else.

One think you might do to verify that your clients *are* indeed using a WEP key would be to download a wireless sniffer like Kismet (or Kismac for Macintosh). They'll tell you if the traffic on the SSID is WEP encrypted or not. Kismac is a damn useful tool to have around anyway. It's a great way to look for rogue AP's, even if they have hidden SSID's. The config snippets I sent you are from my Cisco 1100 AP, and Kismac shows it's SSID as WEP encrypted.

Thanx again in advance

Chris Bradshaw