Thanks Dennis,
You were right and freeradius is now getting the password from the LDAP directory. It's still not authenticating so I'm looking into that now. The radius server keeps sending a challenge to the AP for some reason which simply sends another request. Back to the docs I guess. TIA for any ideas from anyone.

-Barry