Hmmm -

The "logic" of the request does not really make much sense... If the
FreeRadius
server is responding to the NAS but the mysql server back-end is not
responding
that does not mean the "radius" server is broken...

I would think you could setup to authenticate through multiple mysql backend
servers
to handle the event of the primary being offline or down instead of forcing
a purfectly
good working radius server to "act" like it was down....  and if you setup a
secondary
freeradius server to handle the event of the primary going down you can use
the
mysql servers that the first radius server points to for authentication by
the second
radius server so they have a common shared database (double redundancy).

Check the email archives - I remember someone answered how to setup multiple
sql servers to be used for user authentication in freeradius (which is what
you really
want to do here)...  if the first mysql server is not responding the second
(or next in line)
will perform the response instead....

gm...