-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alan
DeKok
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 1:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ldap sha1 mschap peap pap

"Epp, Ladd J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Since I'm still relatively new to FreeRADIUS
> authorization/authentication, some clarification on the following
> subject would help me out greatly.=A0 I understand that ldap passwords
> must be clear to use mschap (Windows XP wireless supplicant using
PEAP).
> Is this absolutely true?

  Clear text, or NT-Passwords.

> On reading the FAQ (5.11), I get the impression that you can use PAP
> passwords to authenticate. And, in radiusd.conf, you can specify a
> pap encryption scheme (in my case, my ldap passwords are in sha1).

  That won't work with PEAP, because the passwords aren't clear-text.

> Also, I'm able to bind using the credentials I've entered on the
> supplicant side.

  ... when you're not using xsupplicant to supply the passwords.

> My knowledge is limited, but why can't the LDAP authorization be
> enough to say, "ok, the user is in the database and the password is
> good. Let him/her have access." Why is authorization happening, but
> User-Password errors stopping me.

  Because EAP doesn't provide clear-text passwords, which LDAP needs
for binding.

  And when you try to use EAP for authentication, LDAP is supplying
SHA1 passwords, NOT the clear-text password needed by EAP.

  Use clear-text passwords.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html