Hans wrote:
Hello,

This may seem a little strange question.

I have my Linux(suse8.2) boxes handle login requests using an LDAP server.
The LDAP provides all that's needed, that is username/password, userid,
groupid, homedir etc.

I could use radius to authenticate logins(user/pass), but then I would still
need a direct connection to LDAP for uid, gid, homedir etc, because radius
can not handle that kind of info!

So: why would I want to use radius? I could do without it, couldn't I?

RADIUS is a protocol. You need a RADIUS server if you are talking to something that supports the RADIUS protocol but does not support the LDAP protocol. For example, in general, wireless LAN access points support the RADIUS protocl but do not support the LDAP protocol.

You can always use an LDAP server as the backend for the RADIUS server. If you do this, then the RADIUS server is essentially doing protocol translation.