Hi,
>   The server logs data ONLY when it receives Accounting-Request
> packets.  This is in the FAQ.

Sure...

But then it should do this when someone authenticates .. leastways I was
expecting it to based on experience of other servers .. ?

>   Your shared secret is wrong.

Urm, no it's not ..

/etc/raddb/server lists;

127.0.0.1 secret 1

/etc/raddb/clients.conf lists;

client 127.0.0.1 {
    secret = secret
    ..

>   And gareth doesn't exist in the SQL database.

Yes he does .. as proven by radtest working .. granted I might have
something wrong with the records in the database, but the user details
are in radcheck.

>   Are you sure it's going to the same RADIUS server that the PAM
> module uses?

Urm, I only have one radius server, one MySQL server and one machine
using the PAM extension.. and they're all the same machine ...

???

Gareth