Bob Beers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank you for this important bit of information.
> I did not see anything in the FAQ mentioning this fact.

  Lots of things aren't in the FAQ.

  if you tried listing "sql" in the "authenticate" section, you would
see an error message, telling you it won't work.

> Authentication methods
>
> The following authentication types are some of the methods which are
> supported by the server

>     * MySQL DB

  That should be updated.

> Once the FreeRADIUS authentication server is connected to the
>  SQL database server, then FreeRADIUS can pull user names and
>  passwords out of the database, and use that information to perform
>  the authentication.

  That does NOT mean that the SQL module performs the authentication.
It's only being used as a place to store passwords.

> and in the file radiusd.conf:
>
>         #
>         #  Look in an SQL database.  The schema of the database
>         #  is meant to mirror the "users" file.
>         #
>         #  See "Authorization Queries" in sql.conf
>         sql

  That text simply says that you can interface the server to SQL.  It
doesn't say you're using SQL for authentication.

> I am running the server in debug mode, thanks.  I did not think I posted
>  a '"it doesn't work" message' to the list, I gave some background info, and
>  then asked a '"is this feature supported" message'.

  It's not.

>   Also the FAQ recommends that I use three deprecated command
>  line options for running the server in debug mode, so I thought, just
>  maybe, the FAQ didn't have all the latest info.

  The FAQ needs updating.  If you have suggestions, we'll be glad to
look at them.

> I want to authenticate win wifi clients via 802.1x (and use dynamic
>  WEP keys), using a postgreSQL database table for holding the
>  usernames and passwords.

  This is OK, and supported.  You need clear-text passwords in the DB.

  I suggest starting off implementing this *without* using SQL.  Get
clear-text passwords in the "users" file working, with WiFi, and
*then* add an SQL database.

  i.e. solve one problem at a time.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html