Greetings,
Can u please check with radiusd -X with debugging mode n try to check
all thing again..so u will get extact where u stuck.
just run command: radius -X
after try to authenticat with local n see wht debugging output show
and after try to using poptop and check radius debug , if still u r
getting error with mschap than try to use only PAP n try again same
procedure.

 And 1 more can u also check with radlog file..
i hope u will solutions.