OS: Debian Linux 3.0
Freeradius version: snapshot-20040506  & snapshot-20040909

For some reason, radiusd has decided to run in a single instance,
instead of starting multiple servers.

Here is the relevant thread-pool configuration from radiusd.conf:

thread pool {
        start_servers = 5
        max_servers = 32
        min_spare_servers = 5
        max_spare_servers = 10
        max_requests_per_server = 0
}

I've never touched this configuration, so this must be the default.

And my ps ax output:
26028 ?        S      0:00 /usr/local/sbin/radiusd -d /etc/raddb
15096 ?        S      0:00 /usr/local/sbin/radiusd -d /etc/raddb.global

This only shows single instances of the two installations I have.

Running the server normally before today resulted in the correct number
of servers starting up (5).

Are there any other settings within radiusd.conf that are relevant to the number of
servers started?

Thanks,
James