Hi!

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Andreas Haumer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>2.2) The FreeRADIUS server ist set up to support MSCHAPv2 authentication.
>>     This is not trivial and requires some fiddling.
>

>   Absolutely not.  If you configure a user && clear-text password,
> then MSCHAPv2 authentication will work the first time you try it in
> the default configuration.

But clear-text passwords are in many situations a no-no
and usually you already have the sambav3 schema which gives you
the windows password hashes which will work with mschapv2 authentication

>>2.2.3) in radiusd.conf I have the authorized and authenticate
>>       sections configured as follows:
>

>   Please, please, edit those sections AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

I have used the documentation from the freeradius package.
Look at ldap_howto.txt to see how it is edited.

>   The more edits people make to those sections, the more likely they
> are to break the server.  The intent is that in order to use various
> modules, they should be simple uncommented.

Hm.
You can put it another way: a huge configuration file with lots
of lines, some of them commented out, can be quite confusing for
the reader. But YMMV of course...

>>IMHO there are two important parts here:
>>a) in the authorize section I have the "ldap" module and the "mschap"
>>   module following immediately
>

>   They are in the reverse order in the the default "radiusd.conf".
> Switching the order makes it more difficult for the server to figure
> out what to do.
>

>>b) in the "authenticate" section there is only the "mschap" module listed.
>

>   This means PAP, CHAP, and EAP won't work.
>

>>As far as I can tell this works quite fine. If anyone wants to
>>comment this setup or has some tips and improvements I would
>>be happy to hear. Perhaps we can collect all the information and
>>write an up-to-date HOWTO for this kind of application.
>

>   A "howto" is: CHANGE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE IN THE DEFAULT CONFIGURATION.
>
>   The default configuration was created by people with years of
> experience using FreeRADIUS, who understand the internals very well
> (often having programmed them.)  If you think you can do a better job,
> you should ensure that you understand exactly what you're doing.

I of course don't think I can do a better job than you, I
never wanted to make such a statement. But there is documentation
in the freeradius package which also gives examples of big changes
to the config files.

For me it's easier to understand a small, single purpose
configuration file (which has only the settings necessary for
that purpose) than a big one where you have to find the relevant
information between lots of irrelevant comments.

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html