On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Stungo, Jamie wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are experiencing some unexpected behaviour of freeradius on our Solaris 9
> platform. We use two V240 dual processor SPARC machines, LDAP back-end, flat
> file accounting. I have heavily indexed the directory and it seems lightning
> fast, slapd is running at 0.2% most of the time, yet radiusd chews 95+% of
> CPU0 and I have to re-nice the process to get a workable shell! This is on
> both machines. As I understand it we can't spread the load across both CPUs?

Freeradius is multithreaded, so the load sould be spread across both CPUs. What
type is the CPU usage, kernel/user/io?

> I don't believe that the problem is caused by the number of lookups as it was
> running at fairly low loads (with 10k subs) until we recently added another
> couple of thousand (who match in the users file instead of dropping through to
> the LDAP).

I really don't understand this paragraph. What do you mean by subs? Couple
thousand of what? Match in the users file?

> Our users file has about 130 DEFAULT matches (total) as follows:

That's plenty of DEFAULT entries. Remember that for each request the server
might try matching 130 entries. Make sure you have the best
matching entries first. Though i would not bet my money on that being the root
cause.

> DEFAULT         Suffix == "@subdomain.provider.com", NAS-IP-Address == 10.0.0.1,
> Auth-Type := Accept
>                 Service-Type = Framed,
>                 Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>                 ERX-Virtual-Router-Name = PROVIDER1,
>                 Tunnel-Type = L2TP,
>                 Tunnel-Medium-Type = IP,
>                 ERX-Tunnel-Password = xxxxxx,
>                 Tunnel-Client-Endpoint = 172.X.X.X,
>                 Tunnel-Server-Endpoint = 172.X.X.Y,
>                 Tunnel-Assignment-Id = xxxx,
>                 Tunnel-Client-Auth-Id = blahblah,
>                 Tunnel-Server-Auth-Id = blehbleh
>
> DEFAULT         Suffix == "@subdomain.provider.com", NAS-IP-Address == 10.0.0.2,
> Autz-Type := WholesaleLDAP, Auth-Type := Accept
>                 Service-Type = Framed,
>                 Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>                 ERX-Virtual-Router-Name = PROVIDER1,
>                 Tunnel-Type = L2TP,
>                 Tunnel-Medium-Type = IP,
>                 ERX-Tunnel-Password = xxxxxx,
>                 Tunnel-Client-Endpoint = 172.X.X.X,
>                 Tunnel-Server-Endpoint = 172.X.X.Y,
>                 Tunnel-Assignment-Id = xxxxx,
>                 Tunnel-Client-Auth-Id = blahblah,
>                 Tunnel-Server-Auth-Id = blehbleh
>
> We get a lot of "Unresponsive child" and "Dropping conflicting packet" errors
> in our radius log, as well as the max number of threads hitting its ceiling
> (128). Suggestions for a reasonable figure for this for our hardware platform
> would be helpful to know. It seems to hit its roof at around 250. I'm not sure
> whether better performance would be gained from allowing it to peak or to keep
> it low.

Could you post your authorize,authenticate,session and accounting sections? Do
you check for double logins?

> The lookups we're doing don't seem particularly CPU intensive... in the one
? case we're matching domain suffix and NAS-IP-Address and building a tunnel, in
? the other the same but doing a quick lookup in addition. From what I've read

What quick lookup? Lookup on where? ldap?

--
Kostas Kalevras         Network Operations Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       National Technical University of Athens, Greece