Bryan,

I found that same site and it's what I used orginally to get everything set up. I was going to purchase this book, but it's more then I want to spend on a book for a small nonn-production server. I thought I had followed the site so everything would work, but I guess not. Does anyone have any ideas how I can use the system usernames and passwords to authenticate users?

Carl

Bryan Catlin wrote:
Carl
I read some of your post and have a web page that has an excerpt from an
O'rielly book about radius that specifically talks about setting up
Freeradius.  I used this book and this procedure to get mine running with
mysql as the backend.  With that being the setup you can make a script or
whatever to just insert user info into the DB and not have to stop reload
and restart the Radius server.  I do it with .net and php and it works very
nicely.

The site is http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/radius/chapter/ch05.html

Best Regards,
Bryan

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Carl Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 10:51 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Problem configuring freeradius

Sweet, that worked. However, by turning off system authentication, I would manually have to enter users; this is just a test server, so for the time being, I want to authenticate users based on if they have an account on the server. I had tried using DEFAULT Auth-Type = System Fall-Through = 1 but that wasn't working. Any ideas?

Carl

Alan DeKok wrote:

Carl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm trying to use FreeRadius as an authentication
server to authenticate wireless network users.  I
have it installed and configured, but I don't have
it configured correctly evidently.  In the users
file, I have a user bob with the password bob.  If
I use the command "radtest bob bob localhost 0
test", I recieve an access-reject message.

 And the log message tells you why:

 rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 3
 modcall[authenticate]: module "unix" returns
notfound for request 3
modcall: group authenticate returns notfound for
request 3
auth: Failed to validate the user.

 Something in the configuration is telling the server to authenticate
people via "System" (/etc/passwd).  It's probably in the "users" file.
Fix that, and it should work.

   users: Matched DEFAULT at 152
 modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok
for request 3

 It's probably at line 152.

 Since it didn't match anything else in the "users" file, it looks
like your attempt to add "bob" to the "users" file didn't work.

Alan DeKok.

- List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See