On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, George Chelidze wrote:

Hello,

I have read a lot of docs around, searched among many different archives on the net but still feel I have not correct solution to my problem:

Very common setup: I have a cisco router which required radius for authentication and accounting. MySQL is used as backend database. Everything is configured and is working just fine. The task is to configure secondary radius server which will act as backup server if primary server fails. I have found out that I can configure secondary server the same way I did with primary, set up mysql replication to make sure secondary server has the same data that primary has. I also should add secondary radius details to router and whe primary fails, router will fall back to secondary server. But the failures can be of different types:
1. primary server crashed and won't come back without human's help. This is the best case from my point of view, because secondary server contains all data it requires for operation.

2. primary server can't be reached because of network problems which may be solved after a while. If primary server comes back, router will switch back to it and here is a problem: primary server contains different data from secondary server so it can't contain operations properly before data is synced again. Bidirectional replication is not a solution because for example accounting updates or inserts records into accounting table according to already inserted rows, so order matters.

I know I am not the first and not the last who faced with this problem and I would like to hear from people who solved such problems. Any suggestions are welcome.

The solution is to configure radrelay on both servers. See doc/radrelay. That way you can have exactly the same accounting information on both servers and also avoid the troubles of setting up and maintaining sql replication.

Best Regards, -- George Chelidze

-- Kostas Kalevras Network Operations Center [EMAIL PROTECTED] National Technical University of Athens, Greece Work Phone: +30 210 7721861 'Go back to the shadow' Gandalf