> >>The supplicant needs to authenticate anytime it wishes to get L2 access.
> >>It is an extention of the Authenticate & Associate MAC processes.
> >Why the authentication is done every single time L2 handoff occurs?
> >Usually for 802.11b, I can cover a building
> >floor with about two or three APs and for 802.11a each AP covers even a
> >smaller area. This means that
> >I will have to authenticate even if I move "from one room to another"
> >(exageration!).
> >This to me sounds like an uneccesary overhead.
>
> There is a fundamental authentication/security problem you are glossing over:
> How does the AP you roam to know who you are?
> How does one AP know you authenticated against another?
> How does the new AP know the session key you were using with the prior one?
> If it doesn't how to make a new one?
> How does that AP trust the other AP?
> How does it know you are really the same station?
>    and not some hacker spoofing the same MAC address?
>
> Answer those questions throughly and you will be on the way to solving the
> roaming problem.

The assumption made here is that the authenticator is the AP. I believe
things would be much easier and still safe if one authenticator would
control a group of
APs and not just be one itself. This group of APs could be a subnet or a
smaller group, but at least within this group the handoff would be much
faster. The authenticator would act in the same way except that it would
do the job for a group of APs and not for just one.
If this would be done than all the questions above would have their
answers.
What is your opinion?

Andrea

-