Alan,

.-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at 6-12-2004 21:06 Alan DeKok wrote:

rlm_realm: Looking up realm "test.nl" for User-Name = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
rlm_realm: Found realm "test.nl"
rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "test"

Why are you stripping the username AGAIN? I thought you said you
weren't stripping it.

Well I'm not stripping it on the first radius server, the second radius server is doing this.
supplicant > radiusserver1 > radius-server2

The username arives as [EMAIL PROTECTED] at radius-server2.
It then sees the realm test.nl is local and strips the username. which I think is good, because the user localy is know as test. Right?
on radius server2 the user file en proxy.conf look like this::

<users file>
test           User-Password == "test"
              Tunnel-Type:1 = VLAN,
              Tunnel-Medium-Type:1 = IEEE-802,
              Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 = 207
</users file>

<proxy.conf>
realm LOCAL {
       type            = radius
       authhost        = LOCAL
       accthost        = LOCAL
}

realm NULL {
       type            = radius
       authhost        = LOCAL
       accthost        = LOCAL

}
realm test.nl {
       type            = radius
       authhost        = LOCAL
       accthost        = LOCAL
}
<proxy.conf/>

Don't strip the username. Doing so will break EAP, and MS-CHAP, as
you are discovering.

But how should I fix this?
User are know as "test" and not as [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I found out ttls with ms-chap-v2 also fails. ttls with PAP or MS-CHAP v1 does work.

Also with radtest, on radius-server1 it dows work:
achilles:/home/andree/freeradius/etc/raddb# ../../bin/radtest [EMAIL PROTECTED] test localhost 0 testing123
Sending Access-Request of id 168 to 127.0.0.1:1812
User-Name = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
User-Password = "test"
NAS-IP-Address = achilles
NAS-Port = 0
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 127.0.0.1:1812, id=168, length=38
Tunnel-Type:1 = VLAN
Tunnel-Medium-Type:1 = IEEE-802
Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 = "207"

So it seems a MS-CHAP-v2 specific problem. Log: rlm_mschap: Found MS-CHAP attributes. Setting 'Auth-Type = MS-CHAP' modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns ok for request 1 rlm_realm: Looking up realm "test.nl" for User-Name = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" rlm_realm: Found realm "test.nl" rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "test" rlm_realm: Proxying request from user test to realm test.nl rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "test.nl" rlm_realm: Authentication realm is LOCAL. modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 1 rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 1 users: Matched test at 1 modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 1 modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 1 rad_check_password: Found Auth-Type MS-CHAP auth: type "MS-CHAP" Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 1 rlm_mschap: Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for [EMAIL PROTECTED] with NT-Password rlm_mschap: FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect modcall[authenticate]: module "mschap" returns reject for request 1 modcall: group Auth-Type returns reject for request 1 auth: Failed to validate the user.

Why do other authentication methods work and how can I  make peap work?

Thanks,
- Andree