On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Michael Markstaller wrote:

My setup: Running FreeRADIUS 1.0.1 on Debian sarge
server2 (secondary) -> detail-relay/radrelay -> server1 (primary) ->
mysql
The servers are far away from being under (dual Xeon 2,8, 1GB, SCSI 15k
etc)

As long as the primary runs and is reachable, everything is fine but
whenever the secondary server comes into action due to the primary being
unreachable,
I see this "Error: rlm_detail: Failed to aquire filelock
for...<detail-relay>" frequently. (~1000 acct per hour with ~25 "Error:
rlm_detail: " messages per hour)

Is there really nothing that can be done about this because I'm
concerned to loose some accounting as whenever this happens the primary
is most likely down ?

Does this happen when the primary server comes back up or while it is down? For instance does the detail file get larger when these messages are printed?

radrelay should not create any problem especially in this case (where the target radius server is down), since it will fill up it's accounting slots and not read the detail file untill the corresponding packets have been acknowledged by the primary radius server.

Maybe it'd help i.e. to make radrelay doing less frequent checks on the
detail-file but I found no option for this..
Accounting is the most important thing, when I see freeradius reporting
problems with it, I always feel very uncomfortable ;)

Michael